RISC OS Pi replaces my DAB Digital Radio

I have been playing with my Raspberry Pi RISC OS set-up, trying to find some 'essential' every-day apps for productivity on a cold English morning.  Here is my list:

Internet Radio

Long time followers of this blog will know that I like to get the shipping forecast in the morning before I go out in my boat. Having access to Internet radio is therefore a must. This is a nice light Internet radio client for RISC OS Pi available in the Plingstore. It comes with 25 pre-set radio stations including all of the BBC.

Humber, Thames. Southeast veering southwest 4 or 5, occasionally 6 later. Thundery showers. Moderate or good, occasionally poor.


Weather UK

Simply a weather RSS viewer for viewing the weather in your area (UK only).

Q: What kind of math do Snowy Owls like? A: Owlgebra.


News UK

This picks up the BBC news RSS feed. Clicking on items will load the article in your browser.

If only I could get it to make me coffee... Well, there is a GPIO library.....

MiniTime

Simply displays the date and time on the icon bar.  You can see it running in the screenshot above.

Alarm
How a Raspberry Pi could replace my DAB radio

There are two things I like about this. First, by having it in the 'run at startup' folder you get an analogue clock with seconds hand in your icon bar - as close to a 'live tile' as you will get in RISC OS Pi. Secondly you can have multiple alarms (I am not sure what the maximum is) and alarms can seemingly be set years (months, weeks or days) into the future.  There are options for 'working week', 'repeating alarms'.  There is a 'Task Alarm' which allows you to boot up another RISC OS Pi app at at particular time of the day - for example to load the radio player just in time for the shipping forecast.  Simply drag the appropriate app into the alarm dialogue box. Repeating alarms can be programmed to run on particular intervals, or on the first Sunday of each Month.



Th..th..that's all folks...
That's all for now. If you haven't already installed RISC OS Pi, then it is worth doing. Considering it is nearly 30 years old.. it has just replaced my DAB digital radio.